Programme & Portfolio ManagerGD410
Programme & Portfolio Manager
Full Time, Permanent
£44.8K - £52.7K P/A + Benefits
To identify, define and manage change and development programmes/projects across the organisation and work with teams to ensure robust systems are developed to operationalise any policy developments. Ensuring that programmes and projects are delivered to the appropriate quality, timescale and budget. Liaising with colleagues and external bodies to deliver desired outcomes, manage expectation and act as trouble-shooter which is able respond to urgent organisational demands swiftly and with minimal direction. Managing and leading programme/project teams to deliver shared goals and objectives across the organisation
Areas of Responsibility:
- To assist department heads to develop business plan activities and implement continuous improvement by applying the organisation’s project management framework.
- To manage programmes and portfolios of projects to support the organisation to achieve its desired aims and objectives.
- To provide oversight and governance of assigned programmes and a portfolio of projects.
- Understand the key business processes including those likely to change as a result of legislation and the organisations strategy.
- Maintain a dialogue with key business process owners and provide advice guidance and suggestions about the viability of proposed projects.
- Maintain a sufficiently detailed understanding of the portfolio within the business area to identify project synergies and dependencies.
- To work closely with business process owners to understand their requirements for any developments/changes resulting from programme/project activities.
- Produce key documentation for each programme/project ensuring they meet the requirements of the PMO and clearly articulate aims, objectives, outputs and activities.
- To engage the business process owners and other key stakeholders in the initial planning and risk assessment of programmes/projects.
- Present programme/project aims and objectives for consideration in a balanced consistent way, ensuring key decision makers can make informed decisions and are aware of any associated risks. To produce and present papers to Council, Committees, EMT and external stakeholders when necessary.
- Engaging with internal and external stakeholders which impact and influence dentistry, healthcare and public protection to ensure programmes and projects consider their input and requirements. This includes but not limited to, other healthcare regulators, indemnifiers, defence organisations, CPD/qualification providers, Department of Health and the NHS.
- Develop effective working relationships and management processes for the successful delivery of programmes/projects whilst ensuring PMO requirements are adhered to.
- Influence stakeholders to consider the long term needs of the business.
- To prioritise approved programmes/projects within the team and consider resources available and business as usual activities.
- Define the deliverables, resource requirements and work plans for all programmes/projects and manage their development and delivery. Identify and seek additional resources as required.
- Manage the delegation of work within the team whilst keeping a high-level overview of all live projects within the portfolio.
- Implement quality assurance procedures and conduct post project evaluations to ascertain whether desired outcomes have been met.
- To personally lead on programmes/projects, particularly those which interface with key external stakeholders and/or are of high priority or politically sensitive. Ensure that these projects are managed to the highest standards.
- Ensure that future support needs and controls are in place for completed programmes/projects and assigned to the appropriate person and that guidance materials are completed and updated as necessary.
- Evaluate the success of programme/project activities, in particular, assessing benefits realisation and make recommendations for future practice and controls.
- Ensure all programme/project records are kept and archived appropriately.
- Ensure that resource conflicts with line managers about the allocation of their staff to programmes/projects are addressed proactively and collaboratively.
- Lead and manage programme/project boards with stakeholders ensuring presentations, reports, briefings and all communications reflect the organisation vision and values.
- Build networks within the organisation to encourage cross-functional working and support the project management work ethos.
- Inspires confidence with colleagues from other business areas and other stakeholders.
- Analyse and investigate data and trends to present the information in a clear format which identifies options available or current issues enabling decision makers to reach informed decisions.
- Ensures that legislation and standards are considered in the development of policy and/or operational changes. Maintain an awareness of the external environment in the four nations of the
- UK, and ensure all planning takes account of the perspective of each.
- Ensure compliance with ORGANISATION ’s policies and statutory obligations with regard to data protection, equalities and diversity, health and safety, and employment.
- Manage monitor and motivate cross functional teams, project managers and project officers by providing clear concise and professional communication. Ensuring teams are equipped with the skills and knowledge required to deliver their delegated projects.
- Experience of project and programme management and an understanding of key methodologies/ strategies in these areas. Prince 2 (desirable); MSP (desirable).
- Awareness/experience in continuous improvement and change management techniques including working knowledge of Lean Six Sigma and Change management (desirable).
- Evidence of successfully leading programmes and projects from initiation to delivery and evaluation.
- Experience of working in a regulatory environment or regulatory process.
- Experience of leading and delivering significant change and business improvement initiatives, including people and cultural change
- Evidence of leading and managing a multi-functional team; challenging others to develop and serving as a role model and mentor. Ability to inspire the team to attain goals and pursue excellence whilst managing any conflict and/or communication problems.
- Ability to lead process improvement and proactively suggest areas for improvement.
- Effective time management, demonstrable initiative, logical thinking and problem solving with the ability to work independently across sites.
- A solid understanding of project, programme and change methodologies and how to scale them for all sizes of project.
- Proven experience of the whole project life cycle, able to demonstrate the ability to operate in the initial conceptual design stage, user acceptance testing and each stage between.