Full Time, Permanent
Our client a specialist consultancy handles many projects of varying scale and scope, both commercial and public funded. The Senior Project Manager will be required to take overall responsibility for a number of internal and external (client) of varying complexity projects and deliver these successfully to meet time, quality and cost targets, realising measurable benefits and thereby ensuring satisfied customers and providing a foundation for repeat business.
- Management, coordination and delivery for a programme of platform projects according to the agreed asset and resource plans, contracted deliverables and the agreed scope; a Senior PM must maintain an understanding of each programmes project’s requirements.
- Take on PM responsibility and ownership of strategically important projects and where necessary turn troubled projects around. Any project manager with satisfactory performance should, for the most part, be able to turn around small and some medium-sized troubled projects. A senior PM should be able to turn around any-size troubled project.
- Evaluate new project opportunities and prepare the transition into project delivery ensuring adherence to process.
- Champion and implement systems of work to ensure compliant delivery of public and privately funded projects. Mentor less-senior personnel in aspects of the profession such as leadership, methodology, tools and people skills and provide training to teach new skills.
- Evaluate performance by knowing what is expected of a PM and be able to help evaluate that person’s performance and recommend the training required to ensure the effective application of project management and leadership principles.
- Conduct Personal Development Reviews (PDR) on behalf of the Portfolio Manager.
- Conduct training. Be able to teach many of the skills—both hard and soft—that are required for the successful planning, execution, delivery and support of projects. They must also be able to qualify project management training vendors and monitor their delivery and effectiveness.
- Help hire or place project managers. A senior PM can significantly contribute in the interview and selection of new project management hires. Moreover, he or she can be called upon in conjunction with the Portfolio Manager to determine the placement of project managers onto specific projects.
- Support platform to develop, implement and manage systems that would introduce efficiencies in day to day activities, both within projects and operationally.
- Deputise for the Portfolio Manager as and when required.
- Can negotiate contractual terms on behalf of the organisation with a sound knowledge and experience of items such as Delivery of Services, Price & Payment, Intellectual Property Rights, Term and Termination, Confidentiality and Insurance.
- Can advise on the conflict management procedures.
- Can advise others on Understands IP position of projects, the different types of IP and IP Rights and Organisation.
- Has taken independent responsibility for organising, producing a comprehensive formal review of Projects ensuring identified actions are implemented.
- Organises and carries out regular audits of significant projects or a programme against the organisational Project Management method.
- Oversee the management of activities of the project delivery teams, supporting technical leads to ensure clear roles, responsibilities and objectives are defined, planned and represent the customer ensuring deliverables are being completed to defined expectations (within the base-lined cost and time plan), first time to successfully deliver the contracted scope.
- Maintain frequent and detailed communication with all members of the team to ensure clarity at all times.
- Manage deviations from plan with customers and the organisation’s delivery teams without unduly affecting the stated objectives and benefits and maintain clarity
- Proactively manage foreseen project risks and mitigate issues as they arise, implementing corrective actions
- Motivate the project team and provide direction
- Execute the project lessons learnt process to maximise learning from all projects during and after the execution, carrying out an internal review with the delivery team and actively seeking feedback from the customer; implement any corrective actions to ensure continuous improvement. Seek repeat business from customers as part of the closure and review process.
- Manage project administration tasks. Create and maintain the project stage document
- To undertake any other project management duties as required.
- Manage and develop customer/partner relationships from project authorisation and initiation through to project closure acting as the primary point of contact and ensuring regular communication and reporting of project progress versus the delivery contract.
- Raising, managing and recording variations and updating the business case to support continued business justification for the project providing quotes for requested variations. Raise invoices promptly upon achievement of milestones and deliverables and confirming payment.
- Act as assurance for all reporting to the customer to ensure consistency and high quality.
- Finance, reporting and business support
- Manage the financial performance of significant projects or a programme, utilising regular financial reports to monitor actual spend versus the quotation and forecast; Resolve spending anomalies and identify corrective actions to maintain profitability.
- Can take ownership and accountability of platform project financial reporting to build the consolidation of Cost & Revenue (C&R) reports and actively conduct reviews to the Senior Management
- Contribute to the operation of the Project and Business Management teams, supporting the continuous development and improvement project management processes.
- Support business development activities such as bid writing, contract agreement and customer visits.
- To proactively support line management and the rest of the management team in the execution of their responsibilities.
- Provide regular and timely reporting of project progress to the project sponsors and stakeholders
- To provide accurate input into the reviews established by the line management to ensure the successful operation of the Business.
- Comply with the organisations procedures, including all safety and ISO9000 requirements.
Direct reports: Up to 5 direct reports
- The job-holder will be able to demonstrate a technical background with experience of managing multiple project-based activities.
- Be adept at managing and mitigating risk and have prior knowledge of project management best practice.
- Good individual management, a team player and pro-active with a “can-do” attitude are essential to deliver the job fully.
- Financially adept; understand the concepts of budget control and is experienced in financial reporting (cost of sales, revenue, etc.) and is versed in using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to communicate.
- Managed projects using Microsoft Project.
- Think like a business person. Project management is mostly about business. A senior PM should understand the business need for each project and make on-going decisions based on what’s best for the organisation—even if that means challenging senior stakeholders on critical success factors.
Education / Qualifications:
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) in an Engineering/Science or Business-related subject with significant experience
- Has significant experience within a senior project management role and understands the fundamentals of project management
Project Management Qualification