£600 Per Day
Our Client, part of a network of world-leading centres set up by the government to transform the UK’s capability for energy innovation. To meet the UK’s ambitious energy and climate change goals, major transformation of the energy infrastructure will be required.
Energy Revolution Integration Service (ERIS) is the organisations platform to support the Government’s Prospering from the Energy Revolution, Smart Local Energy Systems programme – a portfolio of concept, design and demonstration projects intended to decarbonise the UK’s energy system in line with the 5th Carbon Budget by 2032. ERIS exists to address the frustrations of industry that these types of programme rarely create any impact beyond the programme’s life. ERIS aims to create sustained impact from the Smart Local Energy Systems programme by applying system thinking approaches that support participants to integrate their innovations with the rest of the energy system, such as consumers, markets, data, networks, etc.
The Programme Manager leads the ERIS programme* and demonstrates effective leadership to support delivery of a range of projects. They are accountable for overall delivery of the ERIS programme* objectives and benefits.
*ERIS is organisationally labelled a “platform”, but it operates as a programme
Key Work Activities
- Manage and continuously improve the programme delivery framework to enable individual projects and work packages to be effectively managed and the overall programme to meet its stated objectives and benefits, ensuring:
- Appropriate programme governance is established and complied with
- Appropriate PM methodologies and tools are established and used
- Programme team and project/work package resourcing approaches are established, including processes for regular re-forecasting and contracting for internal and external resources
- Manage the programme in compliance with all relevant organisation policy and audit requirements
- Manage, develop and motivate a small core programme team
- Maintain the programme Delivery Plan/s, required for contractual compliance with the budget/grant provider and for internal business planning
- Provide regular and ad hoc reports to the senior leadership and the grant provider on the status of the programme and specific themes of interest
- Maintain compliance with the Grant Offer Letter and Terms & Conditions
- Manage extensions to the existing grant and negotiate new contract terms if appropriate
- Engage with potential programme partners and stakeholders, including Government, local Government, network operators and other energy system actors, as relevant to the needs of the programme
- Education in Project Management and extensive experience in Project and Programme Management – preferably within the sector or Government funded programmes or both
- Evidence of successfully leading/delivering more than one large scale/complex collaborative programme, including evidence of having:
- Written mandates or business cases for programmes
- Developed scope documents for programmes including complex projects
- Designed and implemented the delivery team and support office roles
- Developed and refined the scope to produce a full work breakdown structure to identify deliverables and interdependencies between projects
- Developed and managed project/programme PIDs
- Coordinated a programme plan, eg using a Gantt chart
- Developed and managed a programme budget, including forecasting, cost monitoring and coordinating with programme scope
- Coordinated complex resourcing requirements, including negotiating resources supplied by internal departments, external subcontractors and new recruits
- Produced reports and presented at Executive and Customer/Client level
- Led programme team meetings and programme reviews
- Led, coached and developed a core programme team
- Developed and led a full suite of programme governance such as change control, risk management, quality management, stakeholder management, lessons learnt integration/process improvement, etc
- Degree level education in a relevant discipline, from engineering and science through to business and commerce.
- Thrives working in collaboration with strategic partners, including businesses, local authorities, academics, contractors and service providers.
- Strong experience of stakeholder management at senior level, preferably including governmental and local authorities, energy companies and sub-contractors.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- A self-starter with a can-do attitude, able to work with limited supervision under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Persuasive and approachable, has successfully managed relations with clients, colleagues and other stakeholders.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguity and ability to work effectively in line with changing priorities.