Head of DeliveryGD439
Head of Delivery
Full Time, Permanent
Programme Management, Project Management
£80,000 - £100,000 Per Annum + Bens
Summary of Role
Our client, an innovative and rapidly growing software company is looking to add an ambitious delivery focused individual to play a leading role in the growth of the company. A member of the Leadership Team and reporting directly to the CEO; you will have a wealth of expertise in leading delivery and managing programmes and projects involving software development and technology adoption.
As Head of Delivery, you will have the right combination of programme and project skills, positive can-do attitude, and proven experience in managing teams and getting the best from people, to shape the Delivery Function. You will be accountable for putting in place the delivery processes, tools, resources and governance to ensure the successful delivery of software programmes and projects to our wide range of public and private sector customers across the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland and United States.
We’re looking for you to build on the capabilities and processes already in place, bringing your experience of good practise and great ways of working. The Delivery Function is becoming busier and more complex, with multiple projects underway for our customers as well as a growing number of internal improvement projects.
You will scope, plan, manage and deliver on projects. You will work with Product Owners to prioritise scope and sit with the technical delivery teams to provide estimates on story points. Our team works within an Agile way, so you’ll attend and participate in all the agile ceremonies including Sprint Planning, Sprint Reviews and Retrospectives.
As a member of the Leadership Team, you will represent the company at various internal and external (customer) governance meetings and boards, taking a proactive leadership role in resolving project risks and issues.
You will be working alongside other members of the Leadership Team and wider teams including Product Managers, Solution Architects, Delivery Managers, Test Manager, Deployment Managers, Service Manager and customers. You’ll also be responsible for strategic relationships with some of our most important partners and suppliers. Clear reporting and communication are vital for this role, along with strong leadership, flexibility and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Head of Delivery Function. You will be accountable for putting in place the delivery processes, tools, resources and governance to ensure the successful delivery of software projects. You will drive continuous improvement of the Delivery function.
- Pre-sales. You will work closely with the Business Development & Account Team and the Head of Technical Operations to understand, analyse and help shape our response to customer requirements. You will input to pre-sales activity, focusing on the project approach, implementation plan, resources and costs of our proposals and responses to customers.
- Project Delivery. You will set up projects, plan and co-ordinate them. You and your team will work across multiple projects, taking responsibility for the end to end life cycle of all our projects – from initial scoping and project set-up; through design, development and testing of our software solution; to deploying our solution in to our live environments or the environments of our customers; ensuring that all our projects are delivered on time, to budget and to the quality criteria agreed.
- Portfolio Management. You will have responsibility for delivery of the overall portfolio of external and internal projects; for planning and managing activities and resources across the portfolio; for portfolio risk and issues management; and for reporting.
- Line Management. You will have line management responsibility for a Delivery Manager.
- At least 5 years’ experience in senior programme delivery roles – with a direct responsibility for delivery of software development projects and demonstrable experience of completing projects end to end
- At least 10 years’ experience in a wider range of programme and project roles
- Expertise in Agile and Digital ways of working
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment with a certain degree of ambiguity and flex
- Ability to think analytically and strategically, and to understand the bigger picture. There will be lots of occasions where you’ll need to make decisions and drive things forward. You’ll need strong analysis skills and the ability to think things through clearly and logically (and to explain your reasoning so that you take people with you). You’ll also need to be able to focus on both the details and big issues, be comfortable zooming in and out between the two
- Strong interpersonal skills. You’ll need to build effective strategic and working relationships with a wide range of different partners, organisations and colleagues
- Ability to provide leadership. You’ll need to be a great leader: you must have built up and demonstrated effective leadership, particularly through ambiguity and change
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. You will need to explain complex concepts and ideas clearly to people who are not technical experts, so you’ll need to be good at connecting with people and ‘speaking their language’.
- You’ll need to be able to build people’s trust and confidence in you, from the start. This will likely come from a combination of in-depth knowledge and understanding of your space – plus your ability to get your point across in a way that is clear and compelling, so that you can ‘hold the room’. We’ll be looking for someone who is skilful in taking a strong position and providing clear thought leadership and vision, but who is also smart enough to do this in a way that build in flexibility so you can adapt to new things and respond to change.
- Provide oversight of workstream leads and delivery of key contractual milestones. Key escalation point for subject matter experts and workstream leads to maintain focus on programme delivery.
- Understanding of project financials. Manage the budget and forecast for the programme
- Essential Technical Skills
- Extensive experience and recognised certification of a variety of programme and project methodologies including PRINCE2, AGILE and SCRUM)
- Expertise in standard project management software, such as MS Project & Visio.
- Significant experience of working within software development life cycles (SDLC)
- Experience of delivering projects in public sector
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic
- Interested in understanding business problems and empathetic to customers
- Highly organised and self-managing
- Good team player: able to work effectively as part of a team, both local and virtual