Competitive Salary & Bonus
A global innovator in food production is developing a series of ‘Vertical Farms’, one is near the start of operations and the second, larger, installation is due to commence construction in December 2019. The organisation and its developments are creating a revolution in farming with its scalable, next generation farming installations for growing short leafy green salads and herbs for the UK market.
To deliver this large new long-term investment programme both in the UK and abroad, my client seeks a senior, experienced Project Manager to join the management team and lead the delivery of the new assets.
To undertake the formal defined Project Manager role in the model form construction contracts and take comprehensive overall responsibility for delivering the capital programme to the required quality, performance, programme and cost requirements, a role that the company sees as permanent and central in the development of the Company.
Reporting directly to the Executive Chairman, the postholder shall be responsible for interpretation of the internal functional requirements provided by the internal Technical Team and then develop a comprehensive project execution plan by appointment of an appropriate professional team to produce the employer’s requirement, cost plan and project programme. The execution plan shall address all aspects of the project including permissions, regulatory compliance, functional test requirements, utilities, funders requirements and other third-party dependencies.
The role will require the postholder to develop and implement sound strategies for project execution, working closely and bringing together company experience from the previous development, inputs from peers, senior management, the funders and tenderers. The right procurement strategy delivers the use of some important organisation technical innovations and some essential preferences for certain farming technologies without entailing excessive interface and nomination risks. Possible foreseeable procurement strategies include:
- Full design and build EPC contract with FIDIC, JCT 2016 or similar
- Design and build with owner input to subcontracts such as JCT with JCT Subcontractor Agreement, JCT building contract for structure and separate IET MF1 for M&E installation.
- The Postholder will lead the construction tender processes including the assessment of tenders and contract negotiations, culminating in the submission of recommendations for consideration by the board.
- The Postholder will be supported by a Clerk of Works for each site as well as the professional team, an internal technical team with the expectation of also appointing an internal M&E project engineer as the programme of sites roll out.
The Postholder shall implement and carry out a rigorous system of project monitoring, control and reporting to meet the requirements of the board, internal coordination, funders and other interested Parties.
- Corporate Membership of relevant engineering Institution or equivalent
- Technical degree/ senior vocational qualification or equivalent in a relevant numerate discipline
- 10 years, experience in a senior project management post including experience delivering construction contracts that house specialist industrial, farming or manufacturing activities
- Experience in undertaking the defined role of Project Manager or The Engineer within model form construction contracts
- Experience with HAZOP or other technical process risk assessment and experience of operations with important health or other critical compliance functions
- Project Management qualification or project management corporate Institution membership
- Nebosh Diploma, Iosh or similar qualification
- Experience leading multiple project teams in the role out of several simultaneous construction projects with internal and consultant based professional teams
- Experience within a relevant sector of the agricultural industry or even similar Vertical Farm design and/or operations