Project Contract ManagerJG356
Project Contract Manager
Brighton, West Sussex
£40,792 - £48,677 P/A
Our education client is seeking an experienced Project Contract Manager to join its Capital and Development Team within its Estates and Facilities Management Division. This role will oversee the construction phase of major new residences projects which are being delivered via a long term partnership arrangement with Balfour Beatty.
The Project Contract Manager will play a key role in developing relationships with Balfour Beatty and monitoring the performance of the Contract by all parties including the performance by the client of its obligations.
The role will initially oversee the delivery of East Slope Residences up to completion and be involved in preparing for commencement of and then will oversee delivery of the West Slope Residences.
This is an important role within the organisation and with the combined contract value in excess of £300m these projects are of two of the largest Accommodation Projects in the UK. The client is therefore looking for an experienced Project Contract Manager to join its growing Estates and Facilities Management.
- Relationship Management: establishing, supporting and maintaining relationships, communication routes and systems throughout the life of the contract so that a sustainable partnership of trust and respect is maintained.
- Administration of the contract: Ensuring obligations and responsibilities defined under the contract are met, ensuring, risks, payments under the contract, reporting and change are all managed effectively so that value for money and continuous improvement are achieved.
- Ensuring that the University meet all of its contractual obligations under the Project Agreement (PA).
- Within any delegation act as University Representative under the Project Agreement .
- Documenting and accurately relaying the University instructions and clarifications.
- Building and maintaining a virtual team, environment consisting of colleagues across the University (i.e. Finance, Housing, Facilities Management and Student Experience) and other external advisers such as legal and cost consultants etc.
- Coordinating the review of information prepared by the contractor and tracking any comments on same ensuring actions are closed or responded too.
- Considering items submitted by the contractor for ‘approval’, as required by the employer’s requirements and the Project Agreement.
- Managing change control procedures, in conjunction with Finance, to robustly protect the University’s interests and ensure value for money is achieved in all areas.
- Reviewing the progress of the works and preparing reports for the University Project Board.
- Receive and assess any application for claims, seeking advice as appropriate from the University’s advisors, advising on validity of same and making sound recommendations to the Project Sponsor and Project Board.
- Monitoring that commissioning and inspections are being carried out by the Independent Tester (Atelia).
- Ensuring University is appropriately represented at handover of buildings along with any University Stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain, throughout the Contract, all Contract records including, but not limited to, contractual documentation, communications, and any performance tracking.
- Throughout the Contract, identify issues and risks as soon as they arise and manage these, by suggesting solutions and strategies to address them. This includes ensuring Risk Registers are kept up to date.
- Identifying defects and bringing them to the attention of the University.
- Issue of monthly reports to the management board that should include the following:
- Statement on H&S
- Report on Construction
- Programme – Including next phased occupation
- Interface issues
- Items previously identified and progress on same
- New issues to be addressed
- Possible future issues
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Meetings in past period and issues / actions to be addressed
- Future engagement
- Budget reporting (with support from Finance)
Degree (or equivalent experience) in a relevant construction or property related subject
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent relationships with partner organisations and across a wide ranging set of stakeholders.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills (including listening skills
- Proven ability to build and maintain credibility with Senior Executives, senior managers and external partner organisations.
- Proven experience of successful negotiations in a highly commercialised environment.
- Demonstrate diplomacy and be able to influence others to achieve common goals through management and persuasion
- Able to influence, build relationships and communicate effectively with senior managers. Evidence of ability to get a clear message across and facilitate a discussion on key contract matters
- Able to work with a high degree of personal initiative and to work without the need for constant supervision
- Have excellent analytical skill and be able to interpret complex data sets (qualitative and quantitative
- IT literate including able to manipulate electronic information and data
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven track record of delivering successful large scale/complex construction projects and programme
- A commitment to delivering value for money and challenging costs and approaches to ensure that best value it achieved under the contract.
- An in-depth knowledge of managing change control within a delivery-focussed environment.
- Ability to deal confidently with a diverse range of stakeholders and situations
- Knowledge and experience of Employer’s Agent/Contractor Administration in PPP/PFI Projects within a Public Authority and a high level of commercial acumen.
- Knowledge of Higher Education
- Able to work as part of a team and as an individual.
- Able to use own initiative and take responsibility in ensuring work is delivered accurately
- Ability to establish and lead a strong multi-disciplinary “virtual” team.
- Ability to demonstrate and act with Integrity and transparency in all areas .
- Able to work under pressure and to deadline and to prioritise competing demands