Senior Project ManagerLD101
Senior Project Manager
Contract, Full Time
£600 Per Day
The Senior Project Manager will be involved with projects around the development and delivery of bus, rail, rapid transit and corporate projects of a (usually) major / complex nature. Able to adhere to a high standard of compliance, to time, cost and quality, and utilising/managing the appropriate resources.
- Project Management of the development of bus, rail or rapid transit project(s) and/or approved revenue funded corporate project(s) as defined in the approved gated project lifecycle, and as directed by the Projects Delivery Manager and Head of PMO and Projects.
- Delivery of the more complex/major bus, rail or rapid transit project(s) and/or approved revenue funded corporate project(s) (both internally facing & externally facing) in accordance with the requirements of the relevant Sponsors Remit / Strategic Outline Business Case.
- The provision of timely and cohesive input, ensuring a high standard or accuracy, in accordance with the internal and external project/programme monitoring processes as appropriate.
- Ensure continued strategic alignment to Annual Business Plan.
- Working with the Project Sponsor / Scheme Development Manager, the Senior Project Manager shall assist / contribute in identifying and defining the project objective(s), creating a vision of what constitutes a successful accomplishment of the project, utilising the established pre-gateway stages, including identifying the baseline of the costs, programme & outputs for the proposed scheme.
- Having contributed to the definition of the project vision, the Senior Project Manager shall be responsible for identifying and ensuring the appropriate resources are in place to deliver the project objective(s), establishing the work packages required and the detailed programme for subsequent delivery.
To ensure that the allocated projects (generally of a complex nature) are delivered in accordance with the requirements defined within the approved Sponsors Remit or Strategic Outline Business Case. Ensuring compliance with the processes detailed, and fulfilling the roles and responsibilities outlined, within the approved gated project lifecycle process for project development and implementation.
- Utilising the established gated project lifecycle, the Senior Project Manager shall be responsible for controlling project delivery, monitoring actual progress against planned and putting measures in place where actual progress deviates adversely from the baseline identified during the planning stage.
- Utilising the established gated project lifecycle process, the Senior Project Manager shall be responsible for ensuring delivery of the project through partnership working and best practice, ensuring that commitments are met and that expectations are exceeded.
- To actively promote and ensure an effective working relationship between Project Management resources engaged on the delivery of projects on behalf of the client and all other parts of the organisation.
To ensure that project documentation produced for review by the relevant Programme Board is done so in a timely, accurate and cohesive manner, providing visibility to Senior Management of project progress and early notification of any risks which may adversely affect any aspect of project delivery.
- To ensure the identification and management of Health, Safety & Environmental aspects on the allocated projects, including adherence to the relevant and current legislation, and where appropriate providing visibility to Senior Management of any issues. Escalation as necessary to the Health & Safety Manager.
- To assist in the preparation of reports for the clients Delivery Boards, Management and funding partners.
- Working with the Projects Delivery Manager assists in the selection, recruitment and appointment of consultants and/or specialists who may be required in the delivery of allocated projects.
- To ensure that Lessons Learnt as part of the Post Project Review within the gated project lifecycle process are captured and applied in the development and delivery of future schemes.
- Development and mentoring of Project Managers and Assistant Project Managers within the Project Management Team.
- Degree or equivalent professional experience
- Membership of a relevant professional body is desirable
- MSP Practitioner/ PRINCE2 Practitioner (or equivalent)
Essential Personal Qualities
- Excellent Communication Skills (both written and verbal).
- Good Interpersonal Skills.
- Strong Leadership Skills.
- Ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining project performance.
- Self-motivated and able to perform with minimal supervision.
- Exhibit a high degree of pro-activity and creative thinking when faced with challenges requiring a resolution.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
Essential Core Project Management Skills
- Proven track record in the delivery of complex projects to time and budget.
- Ability to effectively manage/oversee multiple projects prioritising works as appropriate.
- Demonstrate a strong capability for the following:
- Proactive risk management, identifying and mitigating project risks.
- The management of project budgets and production of robust cost forecasts.
- The production of accurate and cohesive project status reports satisfying both internal and external reporting requirements.
- The production of detailed project plans to understand the principals of work breakdown structures and critical path analysis.
- Ability to manage conflict, bringing together opposing viewpoints to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution.